Charleston Rebuilt and Repaired Axles
At Houston Rebuilt Axles, we repair and rebuild axles for vehicle owners in Charleston. Also, we sell our axles to you. Our experts repair axles to the highest quality because they both have the equipment and expertise. In fact, we have over 75 years of combined experience performing axle rebuilds and repairs. We use our lathe to repair axles back to factory specifications. We are able to receive axles from any location in Charleston. Our courier service provides door-to-door service across the United States.
Timken is the brand we trust in our axle rebuilds and repairs. Their bearings and also their seals are made at the highest quality with great precision. Also, our axle rebuilds are covered under our warranty. So if you need an axle repaired or rebuilt, or even modified for any purpose, you can trust our experts to do it right. We can modify an axle for whatever you need, from modifying a differential for off-roading or narrowing an axle for hot rods, we have you covered.
What does our Repaired and Rebuilt Axle process look like?
Whether you get your axle repaired or rebuilt depends on your axle’s damage. A more damaged axle will need to be rebuilt, but a more moderately damaged axle can be repaired. Repairing an axle is a more cost-effective option, but fewer parts are replaced.
Repairing and rebuilding axles share some steps. Initially, the axle has the components removed and then the axle is cleaned. All of the components are removed in a rebuild but the ring and pinion set is kept in for an axle repair. Then we put the axle onto our lathe to straighten the axle. Any bearings on the axle are then inspected and replaced as needed. We will then remove any damaged spindle ends to replace them with our built in-house spindle ends. Finally, we will make the axle ready to be installed by assembling, painting and filling the axle with fluids.
There are a few things that are specific to an axle rebuild. First, we use Timken’s high-quality parts to replace all the bearings and seals on the axle. Any seals on the carriers and axle shafts are then replaced with Timken parts. The axle shafts are replaced with thoroughly inspected and restored to factory specifications refurbished axles. We can use a new axle shaft if needed. If the rotor is bolted behind the hub, the rotors are replaced or turned to apply the brake pads correctly.
What should you look for if you might have a damaged axle?
If you have been involved in a fender bender or feel vibrations while driving, you should get your axles checked. Damage to your axle can then come from a wide variety of sources. For example, this could be driving on a bumpy road with a heavy load in the vehicle, or a minor accident or driving into a curb. You may also hear or feel any of the following symptoms, which is a good indicator of axle damage:
- Leaking Fluids – Damage to an axle can often damage the axle housing resulting in cracks. Those cracks and bends will cause leaks. A leaky axle may not have enough lubrication to run properly.
- Vibrations – You will be able to experience axle damage through your steering wheel. The steering wheel will vibrate immediately if your axle should it be damaged. Vibrations intensify as you turn the wheel.
- Loud Noises – A bent axle will cause the gears to come out of alignment. While the axle is rotating, the gears grinding or hitting cause a noticeable sound.
Can we receive and deliver axles to Charleston?
Definitely! We can receive and deliver axles through our courier service anywhere in the country. From door-to-door to any address in Charleston, we have you covered. If you are looking for a mechanic in the Charleston area, these highly recommended mechanics are worth contacting:
1) Ottohaus of Charleston is a shop that specializes in BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi and VW vehicles. They want to provide a level of service that is of the highest level. Their shop opens from Monday to Friday, 8:00 am – 6:00 pm.
2) Charleston Auto Repair has been repairing vehicles since 1993. They have over 90 years of combined experience and is a full-service auto repair company. They open Monday to Friday, 7:30 am – 5:00 pm.
Ottohaus of Charleston29 reviews
- See More
Charleston Auto Repair20 reviews
- See More
Ottohaus of Charleston, 1913 Sam Rittenberg Blvd, Charleston, SC 29407
Charleston Auto Repair, 2495 Ashley River Rd, Charleston, SC 29414